Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This is what we've been up to...



Hi all. I know it's been a while since our last update. This one should be a doozie for you! So much to share!!!
Dave took this photo of Jake tonight. STEAL MY HEART! Seriously!!! Look at those teeth! This is his first photo where you can really see them! What you don't see is the two top nubs that have been causing this family H-E-double hockey sticks on the top.  They've finally broken through, but the kiddo is having a hard time getting back into his bedtime routine. Any suggestions... anyone? Please!!!!
 Last week we got out Dave's dad's Miata.  I had a senior who wanted to use it in our yard for some senior photos.  It was fun to fire it up and drive it around the neighborhood. Of course Miley had to jump in for a ride. I think she sat in the car for an hour. (P.S. Miley is only 4... If the gray hair is making you worry about her being on death's door... you have nothing to worry about. She has plenty of time left to terrorize my nephews and nieces and anyone else who comes to my house.)
 
A few weeks ago I had my mom babysat my nephews over at my house.  They made cupcakes. Pretty dang adorable! Jake loves when his cousins come to visit. Except Jake might have a minor complex cause my nephew J kept asking why Jake's head was so big. Poor kid!

I know what it looks like... the Davenports are out of control with their cupcake parties and Miley Pepper Miata rides around the neighborhood... don't let the photos fool you! Here's what we've really been up to:
In preparation for our big move we had a few furniture pieces we needed.  We set aside money to invest in something nice, but then thought, why not take a creative approach... like a Craigslist type of approach.  I found a set of end tables... In great condition, although my friend Tina and I risked our lives and health to get the suckers. The guy who sold them to us was a chain smoking, heart broken dude who was ready to up and leave town... So... we got these puppies for $20 each. Nice right?!!!
Don't you love the dust? Those are probably cigarette ashes...
I really like the shape of the end tables but decided we wanted to paint them so they matched our furniture. Here you can see what they looked like before and after we painted them white.  Please note that the before picture was taken in perfect lighting and my after photo kind of sucks. They really do look great!

Our second big piece of furniture we needed was a tv stand. We looked everywhere. I wanted something that had a little bit of storage and was high enough to keep sticky fingers of the enormous tv we have.  A cheap simple stand wouldn't do. We had to have something sturdy so if a baby decided to pull himself up with it could do so without that enormous tv landing on him.  We looked forever and then one day I stumbled across a Craigslist listing for a dresser and end tables. My friend was looking for end tables for her bedroom, so it worked out perfect! With a little paint and a little tweaking, we turned the dresser into this! Only $60. We painted it black and spray painted the handles silver, took out the middle drawer and that was it! (sorry about the blurry photo... it was taken with my phone)

Here is Tina's before and after photo of her end table:
As an addition to our Craigslist purchases, we also bought this bad boy! It won't be getting any paint for a while. It was a steal and we needed a dresser for our bedroom. It comes with three large mirrors (only pictured with one).  It was $100.  It was a great deal! (Oh... TV not included... plus... we don't need anymore at our house!)

I don't have photos of Jake's crib bedding I finished but here is a photo of a project I made out of a regular ole' cardboard box. I figured I'd rather Jake pull books out a box than off a shelf. Its easier clean up too! I love how it turned out. It's simple but has accents of the stuff his crib betting was made out of... the solar system. I found the idea and tutorial on Pinterest.
As you can see, we've been very busy.  With a teething child, house sitting and all this stuff we've got on our 4 page to-do list, we're one busy little family!

No comments:

Post a Comment